Best Blogger Tips

13 May 2013

2 Ways to Exorcise Your Fearful Thoughts and Feelings

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Best Blogger Tips
I am a voracious reader  and I find messages in books that help me deal with difficulties What the night knows is one such book.
in my life at any point in time and Dean Koontz's

I've been agonizing for weeks, terrified, worried sick really of never finding another job and I am 54 now and jobless since 2012 and under-employed since 2010. On top of that, I met a man, loved something special in him only to discover that he was an abusive alcoholic who I want out of my life, and to cap it all I live in a homeless shelter.
"So be as a child. Put aside pride and vanity. Have the humility of a child who is weak and knows his weakness. Admit fear in the face of the void. Admit ignorance in the presence of the unknowable. A child believes in mysteries within mysteries and seeks wonder, which should be easy considering that here in this year, this very moment, John was adrift in a sea of mystery, in a storm of wonder. What the heart knows, the mind has forgotten and what the heart knows is the truth. ~Koontz's Calvino

My fear reached its peak and caused me to sit up all night on the balcony wracked with the pain of my negative thoughts.

These powerful, negative feelings only give rise to negative results because we feed those beliefs that
bring us down and we begin living in the hell we created.

Worse, we invited that thing that we don't want into our lives, "nothing's ever going to work for me", "he might as well kill me, I don't care anymore" type of shit. That's where I was.

I stayed up supping all night into early morning on the words of Koontz's characters and gained a lot of insight into my own fears.

This is not a book review. Yes, it's got a psychological thrill but even more important and significant to me, it focuses on the innate strength and intuitive knowing of children and how they hold up the world, theirs and ours.

The book was superb, the best I've read in this genre in a few years. Children and adults overcome their fears in their own unique ways, fight for the right to live and love like any adult and are wise beyond their years.

One of the boys now grown reflects on a 20-year old fear that burdened him: "But he figured that if he worried excessively about the feather and what it implied, he might be inviting something into his life that he would regret. Someone once said that if you painted the devil on the walls often enought, you got the devil on the stairs, his footsteps approaching."

I was reminded to face what you fear - FEAR is False Evidence Appearing Real - with the utter conviction that it cannot harm you ever. No matter if you are shaking as if you have ague, deal with it and free yourself.

Nothing and no one can harm you unless you believe they can. It means you gave away your power by focusing on the other person instead of yourself and what you want! In these situation, be kind to yourself and have compassion for yourself.

In other words, stop beating yourself up!

After the weight of 20 years apprehension has lifted , Calvino says, "In my work Mr Dugley, I've seen that good usually triumphs. But I've also seen that evil never dies. it's always wise to remain vigilant."

2 ways to exorcise your fearful thoughts and feelings:

1- Write a letter

Don't want to or can't face your monster, imagined or real life events, make some quiet time for yourself then sit down write him or her a no-holds barred letter. Write down every single thing you think and feel about that person to exorcise those demonic thoughts and feelings.

Burn the letter afterward and move on with your new, free life.

2- Face the mirror

Stand in front of the mirror and imagine that beast - mother, father, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, friend, neighbour, lover, husband, or colleague - is standing right there in front of you, in the flesh and let rip. Bare your goddam soul as you never have before. Let it all come out.

When you're done, it's done. Go treat yourself to something that makes you feel good and let that be the end of it all.

These two exercises are powerful, cathartic and emotionally freeing. It's just another way of removing emotional blockages and works on anything that disturbs your equilibrium. The letter is particularly powerful and could be one way of opening the door for a much needed discussion.


 "In this world of ours, there's always a chance that a day of fire will come, but there is nothing to be gained by extending an invitation to the arsonist, no matter how persistently he hints that he would like to have one." Koontz's Dugley

No comments:

Post a Comment

♥Welcome to my beautiful blog! I invite your comments. All are valuable and welcome♥